Sunday, December 30, 2012

Traditional?? Bah Humbug!

A few weeks ago I was out looking around at Cost Plus World Market. I saw this really cool jumbo gingerbread man. I figured it would be fun to decorate for Christmas. Well Christmas came and went and there sat my naked little gingerbread man waiting to get spruced up.
 So I thought & thought and the ideas flooded my crazy lil brain with many ideas. I traced him out and then started doodling a cool idea with a Day of the Dead design. I personally have a love for skulls and bright colors. Day of the Dead designs pretty much resemble both that. Google Day of the Dead and you will see what I mean. It's so festive and pretty.
After getting what I wanted down on paper...I went to piping & flooding!
Having the colors already picked out and on paper made it SO much easier and faster! Oh...and I cannot forget to mention his cool pimpin gold tooth. That was a royal icing transfer. I made extra and attempted to wear one but it quickly disintegrated in my mouth HAHA!
The funny thing about this....this gingerbread man does NOT smell like the yummy spicy gingerbread cookie we are most associated with. It smells like a store bought cookie that you don't want to eat that resembles the texture of a thick sponge LOL. So what I have decided to do it let it dry out on a cooling rack then I am going to attempt to put a lacquer varnish on it with hopes to keep him around til next Christmas for a festive decoration. Wish me luck! :)

29 comments:

  1. Wow! I loooooove this! You have such a fun style and so much talent to go with your imagination!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much Samantha. ♥ Such a sweet compliment.

      Delete
  2. WOWWY great job and one sweet lookin cookie

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of the coolest things I've seen in awhile!!!! And if I were a Gingy woman, I'd pimp a gold tooth too!!! Happy new year friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, in my experience shop-bought "gingerbread" is never anything like the real thing... Your design is beautiful though - good luck varnishing him! You'll have to let us know whether it worked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. absolutely love this guy! good luck with the preservation, it will be awesome if it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beyond fabulous and I love-love-love that you are going to try to preserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much everyone for the awesome comments! Mr Pimp Daddy himself and his gold tooth are chillin as he drys out LOL. Figure I would let him sit out for awhile before I try & put some varnish on him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. THIS IS THE COOLEST COOKIE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great!
    Best wishes
    Marianne
    fabelhaftezuckerwelt.blogspot.co.at/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing! I wish you made a "step by step" of the decoration process. You´re an artist. Greetings from Spain!!
    LARA

    ReplyDelete
  11. found this via pinterest and I have to say--did you know you can make these and sell them?!!!! He's so gorgeous!!!
    DOD is my fave time of year and I'd love to have this guy up all year long. I wonder if you could do the same with cardboard and paints???
    you have great talent! thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is, by far, the most awesome gingerbread cookie calavera I've ever laid my eyes on...I want one!!! How would you feel about me sharing it and your website on my website/blog? Check it out @ AlterEgoMexicana.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn I appreciate your compliments! Yes you can share. THANK YOU!!

      Delete
  13. thank you so much again everyone for the complimnets. Totally make my day! Now I want to make another one lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely am IN LOVE with your attention to detail!! Wow, seriously, your ginormous Gingerbread "Dia de los Muertos" Man looks waaay too pretty to eat. Maybe it was a good thing that the cookie didn't seem appetizing to you. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  15. COOLEST.COOKIE.EVER.!!!!!!!!!!! I love Day of the Dead and anything skulls, skeletons, etc., and I love baking, so this cookie made my day! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aww thank you. You guys make my day with all the awesome comments.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Es impresionante, ¡¡me encanta!!

    Felicidades :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is one big cookie, I love your work!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Omg!!! How amazing! Are you willing to make and sell these?! DO IT! A huge success awaits you. Let me be your 1st customer.... You are going to be rich! I'd buy at least 2 dozen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do not sell. This is all just for fun. :) BUT....but maybe down the road. Who knows.....

      Delete
  20. wow absolutely am in love! i was sent this picture to make some for a family party! i hope to atleast make them a 1/4 of perfect as the one you made.

    ReplyDelete